Friday, January 18, 2013

An unexpected grace.

I think one of the coolest things that can ever happen to a Christian is going through a time of reconciliation with someone you have sinned against. The whole thing is just a marvelous process. From the Holy Spirit convicting us of sin, the confession of that sin to The Lord for it is He who we sinned against most importantly, the seeking of repentance from God, to the confession of that sin to the brother or sister in Christ and the seeking of forgiveness from them.

I recently was able to come to the end of that process with a sister in Christ, and she was open and willing to happily forgave me. Our friendship had a few rough patches this past fall and it did not end on the best of notes as December 14th came around and we all went home for the Holiday. But by His goodness, God really ate at my heart over Christmas break, His Spirit opened my eyes to my sin, and through prayer and the reading of His word, I was able to seek the forgiveness that Christ freely offered on the Cross. I was really able to turn the situation over to Him, cast all my anxiety about the matter in Him, and learn (still learning!) what it means to rest in His sovereignty.

Though I knew I had now to reconcile with her, I had no idea what that was going to look like or if it was even going to happen before this friend (it is such a blessing to still say that word!) went to Israel for the semester. But as I prayed more and more about it, God opened up the door to speak with her after one of the main sessions here at Truth and Life, and she was just so understanding and forgiving. It was such an unexpected blessing for this all to come about so soon!

And now I am just so. so excited to face this semester. I know God is going to grow, stretch, and challenge me in many ways, and this is just one less extremely heavy burden that has been lifted, for I know it would have been on my mind the whole time, but now it is something of the past I can grow and learn from. The timing of it all was just so perfect and it couldn't have gone any better.

Through all my anxieties and distrust, Christ placed peace and comfort on my heart, taught me how to give it over to God, and so He worked it all out in His perfect sovereignty.

Let me end this post with some encouraging verses:

Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. (1 Peter 5:6, 7 ESV)

Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working. (James 5:16 ESV)

"Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? Therefore do not be anxious, saying, "What shall we eat?" or "What shall we drink?" or "What shall we wear?" For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. "Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble. (Matthew 6:25-34 ESV)

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:4-7 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment